There Was Sump-ting Wrong With My Sump!
I am not an expert when it comes to keeping aquariums, but I am knowledgeable enough to keep them. Since I am not an expert, I like to try new things. My new thing this time was to install a sump for the new turtle tank. I felt it would give me more control and options for filtering the turtle tank without having to see so many wires and tubes going into the water. I wanted a larger water footprint for the aquarium overall. I made a few mistakes along the way. I still need to fix some of them, but here is a list of issues I have found so far…
My Mistakes, So you don’t have to…
- I did not leave enough room to work in the sump under the aquarium in the stand.
- I did not leave enough room to place a check valve or shutoff valve in the plumbing.
- My flex tubing was longer than I needed.
- My first return pump was too strong.
- My second return pump was too weak.
- I did not place enough water into the aquarium and sump to start.